ON DEMAND WORKFORCE – WHY STARTUPS AND SME’S ARE EMBRACING THIS NEW TREND
When you think of setting up a start up, you think of a traditional office space with employees who come in everyday, do their job and leave, and the same thing the next day, and the day after and so on. But times are changing now with start up’s, small and medium sized enterprises moving towards the trend of on-demand workforce. Wouldn’t it be unsafe for them to flout the norms of a traditional business? Well, no. And what’s a business without some risks? People have come to realize that on-demand works as a more convenient approach to running a business, since it allows you to tap into various unexplored territories of workforce, like experts and professionals that you might not have considered if you were hiring only full time employees.
• Low investments – On-demand workforce are low on investments in terms of time as well as money. Hiring freelancers as and only when the situation demands allows you to cut down on labour costs as opposed to hiring full time employees. Since they are mostly freelancers, they don’t expect the benefits of a traditional employee, like job security, insurance, retirement and vacations. Also, since on-demand workers are already professionals, there’s no need to have to invest time in training them. All you have to do is bring them up to speed with the nature of their job and you’ll have it done. Keeping investment low as a start-up is the best way to ensure you break-even quick!
• Endowed skill set–The workers on demand already come with a certain skill set that doesn’t require you to monitor every aspect of what they do, so you can sit back and focus on other matters that require your attention. This also allows existing employees to breathe easy as they don’t have to take on the more complex roles and responsibilities in a start-up or small scale enterprise.
• It’s only temporary - While running a business, you might come across an aspect of work that might only require you to hire someone temporarily. You would have no use for them, post that is completed. Here come in the ever reliable on-demand workforce. Also, if the task at hand is getting to be too much for the permanent employees, on-demand workers, can step in as their knight in shining armour. Splitting the work allows it to be done in a shorter time with better results. As a start up, you wouldn’t have the finances to bring on board the experts or professionals you would want to, on a full time basis. On-demand work force allows you to hire them as and when the requirement arises.
• Hassle free – Unlike the usual employee issues a company faces, like salary hikes, absenteeism and staff shortage, hiring freelancers come without any baggage. While on-demand workforce might be on the rising trend, it is not advisable to only hire freelancers.
It is always good to have a small permanent workforce of employees with you at all times.
- How L’oreal Used Social Media for Recruitment (case study)
- How will Artificial Intelligence change the Recruitment Landscape?
- Apple, Google, and 13 other companies no longer require employees to have a college degree
- 17 Quotes by Recruiting Pros to Alter your Hiring Process
- Strategies Entrepreneurs can use to Stay Disciplined