‘Freelancers’ are those who made their passion their profession. They love what they do - writing, animation, painting, artworks, and make their living out of it. They do not want to be bound by the shackles of a corporate job and ‘nine to five’ grind. They work at their own pace, in their own time and give their best work to those who are paying for it.
But, it’s not always easy to work as a freelancer. There is intense competition, in every field and at times the competitors are big brands.
If you want to become a freelancer, there are a few steps you can take that can help you get on the right road:
- Website – Having your own personal website is the most important step to being a freelancer. It helps you display all your work, skill sets and knowledge base in one place. A potential client can get all details they may need about you at this one place.
- Be known – The first step is in the freelancing world is to become known to the clients who are giving jobs. The easiest way to build a brand today is on social media platforms. Be present on all social channels, and put up your relevant work pieces to attract correct attention. Especially target the kind of clients you want to attract and ensure that you have relevant people present on your social channels.
- Have a USP – We all have a special skill that makes us stand out. If your strong point is research based articles then ensure that your resume or portfolio makes this asset of yours a star.
- Cost – A freelancer is usually preferred over a proper agency because of their low cost. Do not lose this edge by charging exorbitantly only because you know the client’s budget will be high. Charge as per the time and effort that you will be spending on that particular project and you will end up with a happy and possibly loyal client.
- Follow up – Once a job is complete, follow up with the client to ensure he is happy with the final delivery. It will help establish that you truly care about your product and client. If possible, get a reference from them which will act as an advertisement for you and will help you gain other clients.
- Network – The best way to advertise is to be present in the correct events and network with potential clients. Always have your cards with you. If you can get a speaker slot in these events it’s a big plus. You will be able to reach a bigger set of your target customer base.
- Blog – A blog is the best way for you to let the clients know that you are informed and have the correct knowledge on the skill sets you are marketing. Update it regularly and ensure your work snippets are present in them in a focused manner.
There are no sure shot formulas to success, but with the above steps you can create a strong brand for yourself.
- How L’oreal Used Social Media for Recruitment (case study)
- How will Artificial Intelligence change the Recruitment Landscape?
- Apple, Google, and 13 other companies no longer require employees to have a college degree
- 17 Quotes by Recruiting Pros to Alter your Hiring Process
- Strategies Entrepreneurs can use to Stay Disciplined