Having a hard time finding the perfect new employee? Recruiting is hard work. But it also needs to be ‘smart work’.
Take the hints from these quotes and build a more efficient recruitment process:
- “Never hire someone who knows less than you do about what he’s hired to do.” – Malcolm Forbes, publisher of Forbes magazine
- "Recruiting is hard. It's just finding the needles in the haystack. You can't know enough in a one-hour interview. So, in the end, it's ultimately based on your gut. How do I feel about this person? What are they like when they're challenged? I ask everybody that: "Why are you here?" The answers themselves are not what you're looking for. It's the meta-data. " - Steve Jobs, founder of Apple
- "Hire character. Train skill.”- Peter Schutz, CEO of Porsche
- “I don’t pay good wages because I have a lot of money; I have a lot of money because I pay good wages.” - Robert Bosch, founder of Bosch
- “Hire an attitude, not just experience and qualification." Greg Savage
- "If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants."- David Ogilvy, founder of Ogilvy & Mather and father of advertising
- “As with a pair of child’s shoes, it’s always best to find new employees with room to grow into.”- Anonymous
- “Hire people who are better than you are, then leave them to get on with it. Look for people who will aim for the remarkable, who will not settle for the routine.” – David Ogilvy
- “One cannot hire a hand; the whole man always comes with it.” – Peter Drucker, known as the Father of Management
- “When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell, scientist
Remember this one when a good candidate turns down your role!
- “You’re not just recruiting employees, but are sowing the seeds of your reputation.”- Anonymous
- “If you find someone who’s great, don’t wait until there’s a job opening – send them to me.”- Kevin Ryan, Recruiter at Mayo Clinic
- “The competition to hire the best will increase in the years ahead. Companies that give extra flexibility to their employees will have the edge in this area.” – Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft Corporation
- “When you hire people that are smarter than you are, you prove that you are smarter than they are.” - R.H. Grant
- ‘You can have the best strategy and the best building in the world, but if you don’t have the hearts and minds of the people who work with you, none of it comes to life.’- Renee West
- “If you hire only those people you understand, the company will never get people better than you are. Always remember that you often find outstanding people among those you don’t particularly like.” - Soichiro Honda, Founder of the Honda Motor Company.
- “If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur” – Red Adair
Your company’s overall success depends on your employees. A great vision will mean nothing if your employees can’t execute it. Find the right ones in the first place!
Remember the above quotes when you set out to hire your next employee.
- How L’oreal Used Social Media for Recruitment (case study)
- How will Artificial Intelligence change the Recruitment Landscape?
- Apple, Google, and 13 other companies no longer require employees to have a college degree
- 17 Quotes by Recruiting Pros to Alter your Hiring Process
- Strategies Entrepreneurs can use to Stay Disciplined